Thanks for visiting the Birkdale Sales website. This policy explains the what, how and why of the information we collect when you visit our website or when you use our services. It also explains the specific ways we use and disclose that information. We want to make it clear, we take your privacy extremely seriously, and we never sell your data or pass it onto any third parties for sales or marketing use. Our aim is to be as clear and open as possible about what we do and why.
Who are we and how to contact us?
BJA Trading Limited t/a Birkdale sales, Company No.
If you have any questions or comments, or if you want to update, delete or change any Personal Information we hold, or you have a concern about the way in which we have handled any privacy matter, please contact our Data Controller through the following ways:
The Heights Business Park,
Data queries: Ed Harvey
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We aim to respect your privacy and are committed to protecting the confidentiality of your personal information. Our aim is to be as clear and open as possible about what we do and why, which is why we go in-depth below to explain what we collect, send and use your data for and what your rights are.
These definitions should help you understand this policy and add clarity to any terms/labels we use. When we say “we,” “us,” “our” we are referring to Birkdale sales.
When we say “Customer,” we are referring to the person or entity that is registered with us to use our Service. With regards to “Service” we are referring to our products and any services that we supply, including without limitation any services we supply when you visit our Website or use any of its features.
“Legitimate Interest” means the interest of our business in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/product and the best and most secure experience. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You can obtain further information about how we assess our legitimate interests against any potential impact on you in respect of specific activities by contacting us.
When we say “you,” we are referring either to a Customer or to some other person who visits our Website.
“Personal Information” or “data” means any information and data that identifies or can be used to identify you or a Contact, directly or indirectly, including, but not limited to, first and last name, email address, occupation or other demographic information.
When we say “Contact”, we are referring to a specific data subject within a Customer or prospective Customer’s organisation.
An “Audience Group” is a list of Contacts and all associated information related to those Contacts.
While providing the Service, and as described in more detail below, we may collect Personal Information about a website visitor, Customer, person or email address on or related to a Contact.
It is important that the Personal Information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your Personal Information changes during your relationship with us.
- The data we collect about you
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
Identity Data includes first name, , last name, username or similar identifier, title.
Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
Usage Data includes information about how you use our website, products and services.
Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
- 4. Why we process your personal data
We process your personal data primarily on the basis of Legitimate Interest as a business but only if necessary for the purpose we collected it for. We will also process data on the basis of contractual and transactional obligation where necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract, or where we need to comply with a legal obligation. If we require your consent for a particular purpose, we will obtain your express consent. We may process your data for the purposes set out in Section 6:
We will only store your data, for as long as we need it to undertake any of the processes listed above.
- How we Collect Information About You
- a) About You: When you sign up for or use the Website or Service, consult with our customer service team, send us an email, post on our blog, or communicate with us in any way, you are voluntarily giving us information that we collect.
To ensure our Customers and prospective Customers receive the most relevant communications, we use some automated processes to send you communications. These processes (such as lead scoring and marketing based on behaviour), might indicate what the contents of a marketing email may be, or indicate to us when the best time to contact you might be.
- c) IP address lookup: we use third parties to provide information about visitors to our websites. When you visit our website we will record your IP address. This address will be matched against public and proprietary IP address databases to provide us with information about your visit. This information may identify the organisation to whom the IP address is registered but not individuals. In some limited cases i.e. single person companies, it may be possible to identify personal data from publicly available ICANN data.
- d) Cookies, tracking & beacons: We may use various technologies to collect and store information when you use our website or Service, and this may include using cookies and similar tracking technologies on, such as pixels and web beacons, to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movements around the website and Service, serve targeted advertisements, and gather demographic information about our user base as a whole.
Cookies/tracking: Cookies allow us to provide important site functionality, so you don’t have to re-enter lots of information. They also allow us to remember what links and pages have been clicked or viewed during a session. If you have provided us with personal data, completing a contact form for example, we may associate this personal data with other information. This will allow us to identify and record what is most relevant to you.
By using your browser controls, you are always in control of the cookies we store and access on your computer. More information on how to control cookies and limit personal data processing can be found at www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/five-top-tips. For comprehensive information on how to change your cookie settings in a wide variety of different web browsers, visit www.aboutcookies.org.
Birkdale sales main cookies:
Google Analytics Cookies
Google Analytics is a website monitoring tool that allows users to see volumes of website visitors, their source, and to analyse how the content of their website is viewed and navigated. This in turn allows optimisation of the content and pages and the marketing programs that drive traffic to the website. Google Analytics does not store any personal information about website visitors, but does use persistent cookies to identify repeat visitors. You may universally opt-out of all Google Analytics tracking used by all websites by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
This information is used by us to profile website visitors, in order to better understand the way in which our website content is viewed by different segments. It is also used, for example, to identify the types of organisations that might be interested in purchasing services from us.
Email Marketing Post-Click Tracking Cookies
These cookies are used to report on the pages that have been viewed by visitors to the site who have followed links from our email marketing campaigns. This analysis helps us to understand additional content that is viewed by the contacts in our database and therefore allows us to improve and tailor future campaigns to those contact’s specific areas of interest.
Beacons/Pixels: On our website and in our emails we use web beacons. When we send emails to Customers, we may track behaviour such as who opened the emails, who clicked the links and which pages of our Website they have visited.
This allows us to measure the performance of our email campaigns and to improve our Service and Website. To do this, we include single pixel, also called web beacons, in emails we send. Web beacons allow us to collect information about when you open the email, your IP address, your browser or email client type, and other similar details. We also include Web Beacons in the emails we deliver for you. We use the data from those Web Beacons to create reports about how your email campaign performed and what actions your Contacts took. Reports are also available to us when we send email to you, so we may collect and review that information.
- e) Data sources: other than the aforementioned ways above of obtaining data (form fills on the website, cookies, verbal and written) we may obtain information about you from third party sources, such as public databases, data service companies, social media platforms, third party data providers and our joint marketing partners. We take steps to ensure that such third parties are legally permitted or required to disclose such information to us.
Examples of the information we may receive from other sources include: demographic information, device information (such as IP addresses), location, email address, contact number, technographics, and online behavioural data (such as information about your use of social media websites, page view information, and search results and links). We use this information, alone or in combination with other information (including Personal Information) we collect, to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing and content to you and to develop and provide you with more relevant products features, and services.
- g) Who will see your data: Your data will only be seen and used by certain trained employees of Birkdale sales. We operate a role-based access policy for personal data. What this means, is that an employee will only have access to personal data, if they need that access to do their job. We do not share the personal data of Customers and prospective Customers with any third parties.
- How we use your information
We may disclose Personal Information and use personal data acquired from and provided by your to fulfil any of your requests and to send you appropriate and useful communications. You should be aware this includes, but not limited to, the types of communications explain in section 6 b).
A copy of our legitimate interests ‘balancing test’ is available on request as part of our commitment to managing your information rights. Please use the details at the start of the page to request this.
We use your data for the following purposes:
- a) To promote use of our products and services to you. For example, if we collect your Personal Information when you visit our website and do not sign up for any of the Service, we may send you an email inviting you to sign up or attend an event. If you use any of our Service or website and we think you might benefit from using another part of our Service we offer, we may send you an email about that. You can stop receiving our promotional emails by following the opt-out link included in every email we send.
- b) To send you informational and promotional content in accordance with your marketing preferences. You can stop receiving our promotional emails by following the opt-out instructions included in every email.
Types of communications: By processing your Personal Information under Legitimate Interest, you will receive any specific piece(s) of information you requested, as well as allowing us to send you appropriate and useful communications.
This includes but is not limited to; invitations to our industry leading events and webinars, our latest assets (whitepapers, guides, reports, infographics, videos and case studies) and promotional offers on software and services. We would also like to keep you abreast of the charity events and initiatives we partake in.
If you are a Customer, you will also receive monthly product and service updates. These updates will highlight the great new releases we have developed.
At any time, you can update your preferences (or completely unsubscribe/opt-out of our marketing) by clicking the opt-out link in any emails you receive from us. The link will always be in the footer of the email. You can also stop receiving emails from us using that same link.
Types of Channel: Within your preference centre you can also specify which channel(s) you would prefer to be contacted on, or you can opt-out completely. The three channels you will have option on are: email, SMS and post.
- c) To bill and collect money owed to us by our Customers. This includes sending you emails, invoices, receipts, notices of delinquency, and alerting you if we need a different credit card number. We use third parties for secure debit and/or credit card transaction processing, and we send billing information to those third parties to process your orders and credit card payments. To learn more about the steps we take to safeguard that data, see Section 12 below.
- e) To communicate with our Customers about their account and provide customer support.
- f) To enforce compliance with our Terms and Conditions and applicable law. This may include developing tools and algorithms that help us prevent violations.
- g) To meet legal requirements, including complying with court orders, valid discovery requests, valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
- h) To provide information to representatives and advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements.
- i) To prosecute and defend a court, arbitration, or similar legal proceeding.
- j) To respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- k) To provide, support, and improve the Services we offer. This includes our use of the data that our Customers provide us in order to improve our service delivery. This might also include sharing your information or the information you provide us about your Contacts with our third party data processors in order to provide and support our Services or to make certain features of the Services available to you. When we do have to share information with third parties, we take steps to protect your information by requiring these third parties to enter into a contract with us that requires them to use the information we transfer to them in a manner that is consistent with this policy.
- n) To provide you with a quote. You may have requested us to provide you with a quote in relation to the Services we provide (including, without limitation when you use our DuraPost Fencebuilder application) or the products or services which are provided by our partners and are listed on our Website. We will use the Personal Information you have provided to us to contact you directly, and/or we may pass the details to our partners with a view to them providing you with a quote for the products and services requested by you or that you have expressed interest in. When our partners use your Personal Information to provide a quote they will act as data controllers of your Personal Information.
- Data Collection
As you use our Service, you may request for us to import into our system Personal Information you have collected from your Contacts (and database). We have no direct relationship with your Contacts or any person other than you, and for that reason, you are responsible for making sure you have the appropriate legal permission for us to collect and process information about those individuals.
If you are our DuraPost installer and, as part of using our Service, you import or request us to import into our system Personal Information you have collected from your customers, you acknowledge that we have no direct relationship with your customers or any person other than you. You are responsible for making sure that you have the appropriate legal permission for us to collect and process information about those individuals.
Consistent with the uses of Personal Information covered in Section 6, we may transfer Personal Information of you or your Contacts to companies that help us promote, provide, or support our Services or the services of our Customers (“Service Providers”). All Service Providers enter into a contract with us that protects Personal Information and restricts their use of any Personal Information consistent with this policy. As part of our Services, we may use and incorporate into features information you have provided, we have collected from you, or we have collected about Contacts. We may share this information, including Contact email addresses, with third parties in line with the approved uses in Section 6.
We will retain Personal Information we process on behalf of our Customers for as long as needed to provide our Services or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent abuse, and enforce our agreements.
- Disclosing Information
We do not disclose any personal information obtained about you from this website to third parties except when we need to do so for the purposes set out in Section 6.
We may share your Personal Information with certain third parties, such as set out below:
- Subsidiaries of Birkdale sales for our general business, reporting to management, authorisations/approvals from relevant decision makers, and where systems and services are used or provided on a shared basis.
- third-party service providers in order to complete the transaction – e.g. when arranging for a courier company to deliver or collect goods that you have ordered, or payment processing companies, that help process payments in connection with the use of.
- Our third-party partners whose products or services are advertised on our Website, such as stockists and installers when you use our DuraPost Fencebuilder application and request a quote. This will enable such partners to contact you directly to provide you with a quote and will allow you to purchase their products or services. When these companies use your Personal Information in this way, they will be acting as data controllers of your Personal Information which means that they are in charge of how they handle your data and we are not responsible for this. You can find a list of our stockists and installers here: https://www.birkdalesales.com/stockist-durapost .
- Professional advisers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
- HM Revenue & Customs, regulators and other authorities who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances.
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice..
We may from time to time provide information of a general nature to third parties – for example, the number of individuals visiting our website or completing a registration form, but we will not use any information that could identify those individuals.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your Personal Information and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your Personal Information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your Personal Information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions. Please note that if you request or receive products or services directly from our third-party partners, such partners will be the controllers of your data and may determine the purpose of processing your Personal Information.
- Public Information and Third-Party Websites
- a) Blog. We have public blogs on our website. Any information you include in a comment on our blog may be read, collected, and used by anyone. If your Personal Information appears on our blogs and you want it removed, contact on the information provide at the start of this page. If we are unable to remove your information, we will tell you why
- b) Social media platforms and widgets. Our website includes social media features, such as the Facebook Like button. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you are visiting on our Website, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our website. We also maintain presences on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Any information, communications, or materials you submit to us via a social media platform is done at your own risk without any expectation of privacy. We cannot control the actions of other users of these platforms or the actions of the platforms themselves. Your interactions with those features and platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
We may, from time to time, offer surveys, contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions on our websites, software or through social media (collectively “Our Promotions”). Participation in Our Promotions is completely voluntary. Information requested for entry may include personal information such as your name, address, phone number, email address, username, and similar details. We use the information you provide to administer Our Promotions. We may also, unless prohibited by the Promotion’s rules or law, use the information provided to communicate with you, or other people you select, about our Services.
- Your Rights
You have certain rights given to you by law, which means you have an amount of control over your personal data that we process.
- a) Access to Your Personal Data: This right allows you to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to allow you to check if the processing is lawful.
- b) Correcting Any Mistakes: The right of rectification allows you to instruct an organisation that is processing your personal data, to rectify any mistakes.
- c) Right to be Forgotten: You have the right to instruct an organisation to erase your personal data.
- d) Stop Processing: The right to stop the processing of your personal data
- e) Moving Data: The right to data portability means that under certain circumstances you will be able to ask for your personal data to be transferred from one organisation to another.
- f) Right to Object to Direct Marketing: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for the purposes of direct marketing.
- g) Object to Profiling: Under certain circumstances, you are able to object to profiling and/or automated decision making.
Right to complain to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO): If you are not happy with an aspect of how Iconic Digital are processing your data, you can lodge a complaint to the supervisory authority, which is the ICO. (www.ico.org.uk)
Before it gets to that situation, please make sure you contact our Data Controller, Stephen Flinders, Stephen.email@example.com, if you wish to exercise any of your rights or if you have any questions about the processing of your personal data.
Security and Compliance
- Data Security
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
- Notice of Breach of Security
If a security breach causes an unauthorised access into our system that materially affects you, then Birkdale sales will notify you as soon as possible and later report the action we took in response. In all cases, we will follow our data breach policy to ensure that we comply with the law and report any necessary remedies to you and the ICO.
- Location of Processing
In the normal conduct of our business processes your information will be stored and processed in the UK, EU/ EEA or the United States of America.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the UK, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the UK.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on to your computer by websites that you visit. They are used to make websites work, to improve efficiency of websites, to improve the user’s experience and to provide usage information on websites. This information should make your website visits more productive by storing and using information on your website preferences and habits.
Your web browser can choose whether or not to accept cookies. Most web browser software is initially set up to accept them.
We may offer cookies to you and you should ensure that your web browser is set up to not accept cookies if you do not wish to receive them. Please note that if you disable cookies, some services or website functionality may not be available. For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to aboutcookies.org.
We use the following cookies:
- Essential cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to login to secure areas of our website, and to use online forms.
- Analytical cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Marketing cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences. These cookies also record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website, the advertising displayed on it and communications sent more relevant to your interests.
Third Party Cookies
This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content.
Third party analytics tools are used to track and measure usage of this site so that we can continue to produce engaging content. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site or pages you visit which helps us to understand how we can improve the site for you.
From time to time we test new features and make subtle changes to the way that the site is delivered eg: split testing the colours of buttons or the location of specific content. When we are still testing new features these cookies may be used to ensure that you receive a consistent experience whilst on the site whilst ensuring we understand which optimisations our users appreciate the most.
As we sell products and services it's important for us to understand statistics about how many of the visitors to our site actually make a purchase, request a quote or complete on a transaction, and as such this is the kind of data that these cookies will track. This is important to you as it means that we can accurately make business predictions that allow us to monitor our advertising and product costs to ensure the best possible price.
The Google AdSense and Google remarketing service we use to serve advertising uses a DoubleClick cookie to serve more relevant ads across the web and limit the number of times that a given ad is shown to you. The remarketing cookie will typically stay active for a period of 30 days.
The company also uses business intelligence tools to monitor your use of the site. This tool is called Gator Leads and enables us to provide you with the most relevant information about our products and services. This software enables us to understand your company's requirements and deliver a better sales experience. The software integrates into our Marketing Automation suite called CommuniGator which we use to send marketing communications to our Customers, prospective Customers and suppliers. These are the specific cookies used:
Type of Cookie
Intrusiveness / Justification
IIS Session Code
ZERO // Standard session cookie served by the web server.
Anonymous Visitor ID
LOW // Does not store user data, only stores active menu node over post-back
Load Balance Session Queue
ZERO // Standard session cookie served by the web server.
Stores the UTM values for the session
LOW // Does not store user data, only stores active menu node over post-back
Encrypted identifier for the session
MEDIUM // 1st party cookie which is only used by our CommuniGator integration so GatorLeads knows email contacts visiting website
Encrypted email identification
MEDIUM // 1st party cookie which is only used by our CommuniGator integration so GatorLeads knows email contacts visiting website
Product Authentication into CommuniGator
ZERO // Authentication cookie served by the CommuniGator product
IIS Session cookie
ZERO // Standard session cookie served by the web server.
In some cases we may provide you with custom content based on what you tell us about yourself either directly or indirectly by linking a social media account. These types of cookies simply allow us to provide you with content that we feel may be of interest to you.
Several partners advertise on our behalf and affiliate tracking cookies simply allow us to see if our customers have come to the site through one of our partner sites so that we can credit them appropriately and where applicable allow our affiliate partners to provide any bonus that they may provide you for making a purchase.
By continuing to use this site, you are accepting our use of these cookies that make advertising and communications more relevant to you and your interests, and further help us to improve the site.